Well its close to the 4th of July weekend and I am getting ready to make ribs, and i have been ask many times to share my recipe. I always kind of kept it to my self but now I am going to share the complete instructions. First I like loin ribs that are cut St. Louis style if you don’t know what this is let me know I will help you. So here we go.
- Buy spare ribs and trim them up St.Louis style but keep the tips they are great for smoked baked beans.
- Make sure to remove the silver skin on the back of the ribs ( this in very important)
- Rub the ribs with your favorite rib rub. If I don’t want to make your own, I love Dizzy Pig’s Dizzy dust here is a link to there website it’s the best and I have tried them all. Dizzy Pig BBQ
- Put them in the refrigerator over night
- I light my smoker about 6 hours before I want to eat and get the temp stable at 215 degrees just high enough to make my water pan steam. I don’t use water I only use Apple Juice in the pan (the only way to fly).
- Mop or spray the ribs once an hour with apple juice
- I use a mix of Peach and Apple wood for the smoke (tip don’t put the ribs on right after you put in the wood wait until the smoke turns blue) if you do they will have a bitter taste.
- smoke the ribs for 2 and a half hours. This is the normal way everyone does ribs
Now for The MAGIC
After the ribs have been smoked for 2-1/2 hours take them off of the smoker and prepare them to be wrapped in foil. Here is the next step.
- Spray the ribs with spray butter
- Pour on your favorite Hot Sauce (I like Tiger Sauce for my ribs, you can get it at Wal-Mart)
- Pack the ribs with Dark brow sugar
- Pour clover honey on top of the brown sugar and wrap tightly with foil
- Put them back in the smoker for 2 more hours
- Remove from the smoker and take off the foil.
- Add more wood if you don’t have any good smoke then put the ribs back on the smoker
- Put them back in the smoker
- Apply your favorite BBQ Sauce I like famous Dave’s or you can make your own I usually let the sauce glaze the ribs for about 30-45
Congratulations its time to EAT
I have tried many different way to make ribs but this is my favorite I hope you like it.